The “social media” buzz word has been around for approximately a decade and is changing the way we do marketing. It is impossible to ignore how it is affecting companies through the different channels of Marketing, Advertising, and PR. To stay up to date and current you need to know what works and what doesn’t and realize what will work for you might not work for someone else and visa versa. However there are some standard tips on how to maximize your exposure through social media below. Hopefully they add to your brand as they have done to others.
One needs to understand why you want to use social media, is it to increase sales, brand awareness, expand your service offering or do it because everyone else is doing it? Social Media is something that can give you a competitive edge or can do damage if you do not understand the core reason of why you are engaging in social media.
Einstein says the definition of insanity is expecting different results from doing the same thing over and over again. Ensure you get the results by choosing the appropriate tactics for your social media planning, let it be a walking, talking extension of what you are trying to create.
- Goal Setting and measurable outcomes: Set objectives of what you are trying to create and work towards a measurable plan.
- What type of Social Media are you going to use? What is suitable for your brand, twitter, facebook, word press, YouTube are to name a few.
- Social Media 101: Know who your customers are. Not all of them understand Social Media yet – you need to convey that it is not all about technology but about learning different types of re-communication.
- Be flexible: What worked yesterday might not work today; you need to stay on the forefront of what is happening in your market and adapt or lead accordingly.
- Be optimistic and patient!!! Understand that it is not always a numbers game. Creating relationships with customers and clients is hard work and there is no getting around that.
- Maintain your edge buy being current – in all facets, from your on-line profiles, branding, and website information. Do not get lazy, maintain a high standard at all times.
- Encourage constructive feedback and always take into account what is being offered vs. what your customers are expecting.
- Do you know what your competitors are doing? Follow other social media sites, your competitors, industry leaders and new entrants. Remember quality vs quantity.
- Search engine and website optimization. This should be a given.
- Use your social media sites as a point of exclusive contact to encourage followers and usage.
- Pay attention to who is following you. Who vs. Expected can add insight into how your brand is perceived.
Social Media is becoming something of a given rather than a nice to have in the current market place. Don’t get left behind and do your brand justice by understanding the fundamentals of social media. Good Luck!
by ‘Lianne du Toit’